RHUBARB UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
We’ve combined fresh-from-the-garden rhubarb with a yogurt-vanilla cake batter, for a new dessert recipe that is as pretty to look at as it is delicious to eat. Enjoy this seasonal, easy upside-down cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat!
- 2 ½ sticks butter unsalted, plus more to grease pans
- 1 ½ pounds rhubarb, rinsed and sliced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsps. cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 ¼ tsps. baking powder
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon grated
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- ⅓ cup Redwood Hill Farm plain goat milk yogurt
- 2 tsps. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a large round cake pan, or use a 9-inch springform pan, lined with parchment paper and buttered.
- Mix the rhubarb, cornstarch and 1/2 cup granulated sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Mix the brown sugar and 1/2 stick butter in a pan over medium heat until smooth and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whip 2 sticks butter in a mixer for 2 minutes (we suggest using a paddle attachment). With your fingers, blend the remaining 1 cup sugar with lemon zest until the mixture is a consistent color. With the mixer set to medium-high, cream the sugar and lemon zest mixture together with the butter until it is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl halfway through. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well each time. Stir in the yogurt, then the lemon juice. Set the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, until well combined. Scrape the mixer bowl in between additions.
- Pour the brown-sugar mixture into the cake pan, then spoon in the rhubarb and its juices. Gently pour the batter over the rhubarb and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the cake, place a plate on top of the pan and turn it upside-down. Release the cake from the pan while still warm, so it doesn’t stick.
- Delicious garnished and served with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.