Title: Graphic Designer
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports to: Brand Manager – Green Valley Creamery
Location: Redwood Hill Farm – Marketing & Sales Offices – Barlow, Sebastopol
About Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery
Redwood Hill Farm (RHF) is the market-leading, cultured goat milk dairy brand in the U.S. The goat milk for our yogurt and kefir comes from the original Redwood Hill Farm in Sebastopol, California, as well as from seven other family farms. RHF is one of the two dairy brands that are manufactured at our solar-powered creamery that is located only a few miles from the farm.
We are a growing, 53-year-old company that was founded in 1968 during the height of the back-to-the-land movement. Since the very beginning, and to this day, we are rooted in the desire to bring wholesome and healthful foods to communities across the country and are guided by our mission of making real dairy available and enjoyable for everyone.
Within the Marketing & Sales Team, we accomplish this through the promotion of our portfolio of three specialty dairy brands and one nutritional pet food brand: Redwood Hill Farm (cultured goat milk dairy), Green Valley Creamery (lactose-free, cultured cow milk dairy) Meyenberg (fresh and powdered goat milk) and Tailspring (Milk replacer for puppies and kittens) - the latter two brands are manufactured by our sister company in Turlock.
Redwood Hill, Green Valley Creamery and Meyenberg are the market leader in their respective product categories and are distributed nationally across the natural, specialty gourmet and conventional channels. Tailspring is the new kid on the block and was only launched in December of 2020.
At Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery, we believe in empowering and growing people within, respecting the animals that generously give us their milk for our products and leaving the earth better than we found it. In fact, Redwood Hill Farm was the first goat dairy in the U.S. to achieve Certified Humane certification in 2005. Our decisions are based on the triple bottom line of profit, people and planet: Our creamery is run 100% on renewable energy; all goat milk we source is Certified Humane and we extensively contribute and engage with our local and like-minded community.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for a wide range of graphic design and creative production services as well as for managing our library of visual and print assets. As an integral part of a dynamic and growing team, the Graphic Designer will be working with creative inspiration on our four different brands - Redwood Hill Farm, Green Valley Creamery, Meyenberg and Tailspring - by creating trade and consumer-facing collateral, digital design, packaging updates and production as well as other creative as needed. This is a full-time, non-exempt position and will report to the Brand Manager, Green Valley Creamery.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Driven by the strategy and vision of the Brand Managers and under creative direction of the Sr. Director of Marketing, the Graphic Designer applies the respective brand identities and spirit across all creative projects.
- Graphic design for marketing: Creates all consumer-facing assets such as digital and print ads, website banners, visuals for social media campaigns and emails, digital and print brochures, recipe postcards and event materials.
- Graphic design for sales: Responsible for all trade marketing materials including sell sheets, sales presentation templates, point of sale materials, training materials and trade show signage.
- Swag: Develops a variety of branded promotional materials, such as apparel, mugs, cooler and tote bags, hats, stickers, kitchen utensils, and other materials.
- Preparation for print: Prepares design files for print according to vendor specs and uploads final versions to vendor portals. Serves as a liaison with print vendors and troubleshoots in case design files need to be adapted.
- Packaging production: Manages copy updates, simple edits, sizing, and dyeline adaptions of all packaging files. Acts as liaison for between marketing and packaging vendors, manages submission of artwork and participates in approval process ensuring correct colors and print specifications.
- Creative input: Participates in creative sessions and actively gives input on agency-driven projects relating to new packaging design, website design, and creative for multi-media campaigns.
- Photography and brand assets: Support sales and marketing teams by performing resizing, cropping and color correction on photography and by providing up-to-date brand assets such as logos, color specs and design elements.
- Visual asset management: Responsible for managing library visual assets including logos, color specifications, product and lifestyle images, as well as editable and print-ready design files. Uses organized naming and archiving system to ensure version control and easy access for marketing, e-commerce and sales team members.
Required Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite and MS Office
- Adaptive design eye and skill, superior sense of composition
- Knowledge and experience using PMS color, CMYK, and digital color spaces
- Willingness to embrace design as a discipline of co-creation
- Effective time and organizational skills with attention to detail
- Interest and passion for food and cooking desired
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with team spirit and flexibility
- Able to work autonomously with initiative and good judgment
- BA or AA in Graphic Design
- 3-5 years of graphic design experience, work with food and CPG a plus
- Experience in print production, digital and offset for packaging and collateral
- Experience in photo editing and color correction, skills in photography a plus
Essential Physical Requirements:
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions and key responsibilities of this position.
Frequent operation of computer and other office equipment, the ability to sit at a workstation for long periods of time, stand, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as need, and to occasionally lift and carry items up to 25 pounds.
The noise level in the office is usually quiet to moderate. The employee primarily works in an office environment but is exposed to the production facility where the noise is moderate to loud and there is exposure to mechanical equipment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.