SPICED GOAT MILK KEFIR MUFFINS
We love yogurt bowls for breakfast as much as the next guy. But, how delicious and comforting is the occasional warm muffin right out of the oven on a chilly winter morning? This is where we come in. One of the biggest joys we get when baking comes from discovering simple recipe swaps. In this case, buttermilk for our creamy, protein-packed goat milk kefir. A few harmonious things happen when you use kefir in baking as opposed to heavy cream or buttermilk. The muffins turn out lighter, airy-er, and more flavorful thanks to the tartness from the kefir.
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farm plain goat milk kefir
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest and 2 tablespoons juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Mix in eggs, kefir, lemon zest, and juice until smooth and creamy. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, all-spice, and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter among the lined cups. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve the muffins warm, enjoy with friends and family.